Friday, September 09, 2005

Skip to the Beat

A few nights back, I had the tremendous pleasure of attending the sold-out John Mayer Trio concert at the Fillmore. I could bore you with details of the simplistic beauty that is the Fillmore concert hall; absolutely sublime acoustics, groovy posters free for ticket holders, kind, cordial bartenders all made even more pleasing by barrels of glossy, red apples for all who attend...but rather I will focus on the audience.

Most John Mayer concerts are brimming with screaming, pre-pubescent girls with no sense of musical respect nor, clearly, an ounce of self-respect. As much as I believe in female solidarity, to be in the company of these chicks is entirely miserable for a calm and mannerly concert-goer like myself. The joy of attending a John Mayer Trio show, is that not only do I get to silently admire John Mayer and his guitar skills, but the jazz-infused setlist precludes the irritating Abercrombie bunch from attending.

It was pure bliss.