Thursday, February 02, 2006

Skip's a Foul Mouth

An email I received today (a forward, if you must know) reminded me of how little I care for cuss words and their regular use by some (most) people today. I suppose it's not so much a matter of dislike as it is contempt. I simply think of swearing as a version of oratorical laziness that points to a deeper lack of intellect or, rather, grasp of the wonders of the English language. How very unimpressive it is! I would like to think of myself as being a little more refined and having some sense of decorum. What can I say, it's the elitist in me.

That is not to say of course, that there aren't moments when the use of such unbecoming language exactly articulates the feelings at the time, but I would hope that those moments are few and far between (unless of course you are plumber or prostitute whose job it is to talk dirty) for the majority of men and women.

For those of you out there who find these instances more frequent, perhaps you can turn that frown upside-down and put your verbal vulgarities to good use by participating in the Annual Swearing Festival at the Edinburgh Castle on February 18th.

Get it all out of your system. You might win a raffle prize.