Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Spy Tactics from Dr. Evil

Apparently, Dr. Evil was onto something in Austin Powers when he requested souped-up sharks to be used as tools in espionage and naval warfare. It seems that the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, is pursuing this creature for exploitation in exactly this way (ok, neural implants for control is the same thing).

Now, I will readily admit to having more political passivity than a doorknob, but does anyone else out there think this is the stupidest idea they have ever heard!?!? I am trying in vain to add some political validity to my blog, but seriously, this was in Austin Powers! It's funny, not functional! I realize that I'm a bit late to the political party here, but weaponizing animals (insects included, apparently DARPA has some clever explosive-smelling bees) just seems a little too Animal Farm/Chronicles of Narnia for my taste.

Sharks with frickin' laser beams at Salon.com.