Monday, March 19, 2007

Skip Loves Fig Newtons

While I have been known to be extremely dogmatic about apartment living -- hardwood floors, crown mouldings, venerable character and quirky heating -- I'm learning that, in Boston, an intolerance for crisply clean condo-style creations means residing in a fabulously historical shoebox with a great location. Beacon Hill is precious in more ways than one and Back Bay, while convienently close to LouisBoston, is also priced that way.

The more I think about it, however, the more I recognize what a sucker I am for modern comforts...I require air conditioning and elevators, I love my Louis Vuitton Speedy as much as the next girl, fall into the DailyCandy craze, er, daily, and work in retail. I couldn't be more yuppie if I tried. I'm frankly a conformist.

So, while in Boston this weekend with RTT, it wasn't such a stretch to decide to rent a place at University Park in Cambridge. We're going to reside at the Kennedy Biscuit Lofts, formerly the Fig Newton factory, which seem to happily mix the corporate apartment amenities (gym, concierge, on-site grocery store, shuttle) with a little bit of character (exposed beams, enormous cookie oven in the lobby, etc.)...all for a great price and a ton of space. It's really the perfect fit for a yuppie in-disguise like myself.

And, if I'm feeling all too everybody for comfort, I can literally skip over to Middle East Club, the foremost indie music venue in Boston (more details in later posts, I'm certain) and rub shoulders with Aqueduct, Cold War Kids or Joseph Arthur.

Does it really get any better than that?