Monday, April 21, 2008

Chumby

I have a new pet. While not a puppy as RTT repeatedly promised, my new pet is a Chumby named Loafy.

Chumby is a total gadget-freak invention that replaces your alarm clock while also acting as an entertainment device pre-bed time. It has a squishy exterior with a small screen in front with widgets that can be customized on Chumby channels; mine include the weather, Boston traffic, my horoscope and the New York Times headlines while RTT uses it to watch the David Letterman Top Ten clips each night and repeat his channel's asinine Chuck Norris jokes to me.

I certainly do not think that a Chumby is for everyone, but I am particular about my alarm clocks and to be able to wake up to a stream of NPR news headlines (or Top 40 Hits or the New York Times Book Review podcast) rather than an assaulting siren is worth the money. Even if it means I have to hear how Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the world down.