Saturday, August 23, 2008

Skip's Summer Anthem

Despite desperately wanting to be good at Jeopardy or 'Trivial Pursuit,' I'm really no good at either. While I do possess a fairly capacious cognizance of pointless pop culture facts, my areas of expertise seem to be bound between designer perfumes of the world, John Cusack movies, high school friends' home phone numbers and Oldies songs....And, if I'm being honest, the latter would be my strongest subject by far.

Countless hours of my childhood were spent absorbing Magic 104.3's perky playlists in the car and systematically recording the station's songs on my hot pink cassette deck, complete with grey webbing shoulder strap (wait, maybe it was Fabs' tape player...hmmm...). Something about the spirited, innocent songs stuck in my head more powerfully than the rules of Four Square and the trick to trigonometry. To this day, I can name an Oldies tune having heard just 3 notes.

It's no wonder then that my new favorite summer album is the eponymous release from the former singer of Blue Merle (lovely show at The Independent, sigh, a few years back), Pictures and Sound. The album is overflowing with soothing, laid-back tunes reminiscent of Herman's Hermits and The Push Stars all at the same time. Indeed, the simplistic, infectious optimism of 'It's You' has me constantly smiling and twitching in my seat.

I've listened to it so many times already, I swear I can hear Dick Biondi in the sneaky silence between songs.