Saturday, October 25, 2008

Skip Loves Free Rice

I hope by now I have made clear to the fair readers of this blog my sincerest love of words. I adore not just their discretionary, mellifluous, and often illusory use in libraries-full of poetry and prose but also mastering the ugly, impersonal definitions of such words as well...

After the moving into the stage of my life that doesn't require blind memorization of seemingly useless words (so long SAT and GMAT), I have found that there is little tangible use in hoarding dictionary details other than a smug swagger and the upper hand in intellectually-themed arguments (which one may argue is plenty of motivation).

However, now there is a reason to break out my Word Power spiral-bound book and showboat my language skills! At Free Rice your command of Webster's is repeatedly tested and with each correct answer they donate a grain of rice to the UN's World Food program. I know, I know. A grain of rice can be nothing, but it adds up fast!

Now, while I am (abashedly) convinced that Scrabble uses a completely different vocabulary skill set, I do believe the love-of-flashcards, type-A, word nut in me comes in handy for cross-word puzzle vocab...and we all know practice makes perfect. So get donating!