Monday, February 02, 2009

Skip's a Cookie Connoisseur

I intently believe cookies are an unequaled dessert, no matter the occasion. Whether I have just enjoyed a simple sandwich, perfect pizza or luxurious lamb entree, I always crave a cookie for a sweet treat. (Glass of milk optional.)

It's not surprising then, that I have made it my life long mission to locate, update, amend or even author the preeminent homemade cookie recipe across each cookie category in an effort to offer to all domestic goddesses around the planet the opportunity to impress any discerning cookie guest (both large and small). For now, I think I have located a peerless Sugar Cookie recipe in Elinor Klivan's '125 Cookies' and while I am constantly re-convinced I've made the best Chocolate Chip cookie, that elusive rapscallion remains as such.

I do reckon, however, I have found slash developed the very best M&M Cookie (I suppose the brand of candy-coated chocolate is your choice)....Sublimely both crisp and chewy with overflowing M&M's but the ideal chocolate to vanilla cookie goodness ratio. Finally!

Skip's M&M Cookie Masterpiece

Ingredients:
1 cup packed Brown Sugar
0.5 cups White Sugar
1 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
2 Eggs, room temperature
1.5 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2.5 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1.5-2 cups M&M's (any type)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large bowl, cream together sugars and butter. Add eggs one at a time and vanilla extract. Sift together flour and baking soda (and 0.5 teaspoons salt if you so choose). Add flour mixture to creamed sugar/butter/eggs bowl. Blend well. Add 1 cup of M&M candies.

Drop dough by teaspoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet. Press a few M&M's on top of each dough ball.

Bake for 9-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies. If desired, check cookies midway through baking and press some more M&M's onto the tops of the half-baked treats.

Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack or your mouth.