Friday, August 26, 2005

The Pressure of a Name

I love the British. I am British. I love the British elite's determined efforts to preserve their antiquated and socially unjust class system (to which I would desperately like to belong so that I too can attend galas at country estates and visit the family compound in Bermuda). Never was this dedication more apparent than in the names these people give their children; sort of garish, sometimes embarrassing and complete with funny, childish nicknames.

Below is a sampling from this month's Tatler which my mummy so kindly lugged back from London (home to my family's estate). I swear I am not making these up.

*Ticky Hedley-Dent
*Tashi Lassalle
*Santa Sebag Montefiore
*Clemmie Hambro
*Charles & Pandora Delevingne
*Sybilla Rufus Isaacs
*Detmar Blow
*Fiona Scarry
*Tania Bryer Moufarrige

How on earth do these people take themselves seriously?!?! It's so odd. I love it.