Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Surprise Hit

In my 2006 year-end passivity, I failed to mention my attendence at another of the ever-sparkling, sunshine-y Brett Dennen shows at The Independent. Naturally it was glorious and left my heart warm and full of tenderness for my fellow humans...I even almost considered the whole hand-holding thing.

What was a surprise; however, was how much I kind of loved the opening singer, Jessie Baylin. She is a sultry, sexy, scratchy-voiced songstress who made all the girls jealous and all the boys drool, but most importantly, she was very cool and clearly talented (a compliment I don't always bestow on female singers). She sounds a bit like an Eartha-Kitt-meets-Patsy-Kline with some Joni Mitchell thrown in for good measure. Young Jessie has yet to catch up to the whole iTunes/World Wide Web nonsense so you'll have to pay a visit to her MySpace page (which is against my religion, but I have made an exception) and have a listen.

My favorite is 'Not a Day More.'