Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Skip Loves Black Cabs

Despite my best effort at seeking out new musicians before anyone else, sometimes the well runs a little dry...and even I ultimately get sick of listening to the same songs on repeat (I think 300 rotations is my average).

Rather than be glum about my failings and give in to the unintelligent, syntho-pop turned out by bands around the globe (ok, so I love Leona Lewis, but that's not my point) I have refocused my attentions on pre-existing talent showcasing their already adored musical stylings in a different forum. Old dog, new tricks.

My latest discovery is the work of the London-based Just So Films (brilliant website, by the way, brilliant) called the Black Cab Sessions, where in which indie-folk musicians record an impromptu song in the back of a black cab. The video sessions are charming, intimate and revealing and include such artists as Badly Drawn Boy, My Morning Jacket, The National and Spoon.

Only the Brits could come up with an idea this clever and comical. Why am I not surprised?